Confession: My gym bag is part full of hot mess, part full of gym bag essentials.
I’ve blogged about gym bag essentials before but it’s been a hot minute and I want to share an updated list as I’ve lived and learned. My must have gym bag essentials get used on the daily to ensure a successful gym trip.
This post contains affiliate links of things I love. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement and link to any products or services from this post.
Without further adieu:
1. Travel size everything. Face wash, body wash, dry shampoo, etc. The next time you are in target (probably tomorrow for me) swing by the travel aisle to stock up. I like to grab to body wash with a removable lid so I can refill it on my own (I’m a cheapass) or better yet, just grab a pack of empty travel bottles and fill to your liking.
2. The only thing I keep in full size is my face lotion that I am still addicted to. My dermatologist recommended cerave face lotion and I love it. Not overly fancy but leaves my sensitive skin happy. Plus the daytime lotion includes important SPF.
3. Dry shampoo is still saving my life on a daily basis but I have found a drugstore brand (see my admitted cheapass self above) I love. My go-to is Not Your Mother’s. It doesn’t smell weird, it doesn’t leave a residue but it does do exactly what it’s supposed to at the right price. Tip: You can find NYM dry shampoo in travel size in the Walmart travel section!
4. I find makeup remover wipes to be a cure all. Too tired with your grandma bedtime, wipe your face. Hungover, wipe your face. Post gym sesh, wipe your face. These can also be found in travel pack size in the travel section! That place is a gym bag goldmine.
5. Headphones are probably a meathead’s #1 answer when it comes to gym bag essentials. I’m no different. It’s a sad day when I accidentally leave them behind.
Embarrassing to admit but I have extra small ear canals. The kind the require me to visit the doctor once a year to be cleaned out . I feel like me and every other 10 year old requires this doctor’s visit. So embarrassing. But I digress. In the past I struggled finding any ear buds that stayed in my ears through lifting let alone cardio and I’m not prepared for serious headphones. While browsing TJ Maxx I grabbed myself a new pair of magical, game changer headphones. And now I swear by yurbud headphones. I can run on the treadmill, lift heavy things and flop around the gym and they stay put through it all. I will recommend them over and over. Such a budget alternative that has great sound and fits amazing and comfortably
6. You can always find bands in my gym bag. Totally essential and I use them almost on the daily. They are great for a leg day warm up or an assisted finisher and I like to work the booty often! I wear them every single time I hip thrust, squat, or jump squat. I do struggle keeping track of things in the gym and left my medium band behind long ago but I still manage just fine with the heavy bands.
7. I keep protein bars handy for a quick post workout bite as I don’t always have food handy. #mealprepgameisNOTstrong I try to pick quality bars low in sugar with diet friendly macros that still taste good. My go-to’s are pure protein bars. Peanut caramel is my favorite. But I was recently enlightened by Oh Yeah! One nutrition bars. So dang good. I will be buying more of these until I’ve tried every flavor! Currently the blueberry cobbler is my jam.
8. There’s always a shaker bottle rolling around somewhere in my gym bag. It contains my pre-workout on the way to the gym. I fill it with my intra-workout drink during my gym time. And I fill it with water as I walk out. No such thing as too many shakers! Am I right?!
9. Hair ties at my house tend to be a bit elusive. I have had to ask the gym front desk worker more than once for a rubberband one too many times. To easily remedy this pain in the ass problem I keep a pack of hair ties in my gym bag. I have thinner hair and like the ouchless goody ties.
10. Lastly, gum is an essential always thrown in the gym bag. I’m a workout gum chewer. Or post workout gum chewer. Basically, I just like gum. Juicy fruit strawberry starburst is still my favorite. Best 30 seconds of your life.
What’s one gym bag essential you can’t live without?